Tonight I tried a new recipe, Asian Beef & Broccoli with Noodles, from the Beef It’s What’s For Dinner website. As always, I tweaked the recipe a bit to suit my family. The original is on their website, here is my version of it. Everyone liked this and said add it to our “make again” list. It is super quick and easy to make as well which I really liked. My biggest negative about the recipe is the sodium content – but that happens in a lot of Asian recipes. We are all good eaters in my family and had another good size serving leftover still of this with my version of the recipe.
- 12oz (or so) of New York Strip steak (this is a lean cut of beef – also instead of buying 3 whole steaks, I just used the one in the entire menu for all of us so the cost really was inexpensive)
- 2 packs of Oriental-flavored instant ramen noodles (3oz each) – broken up a bit
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- Average bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 medium carrots cut into small pieces
- 8oz fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- sriracha sauce
In a small bowl, combine the seasoning packet from both ramen noodles packages and the cornstarch mixture. Thinly slice the steak and toss with the mixture, set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring. Add 2 cups of water to the skillet and the broken ramen noodles and garlic powder. Stir to coat well and cover. Reduce the heat a bit and cook for about 5 minutes. I stirred a couple of times during this also since my pan was pretty full. Remove from pan.
In same pan heat the rest of the oil. Drain the beef from the marinade (discard marinade then) and cook in skillet until most of the pink is gone – just a couple of minutes. Now add back in the veggie and noodles and stir in 2 tbsp of oyster sauce. Stir well. Serve with sriracha sauce if you like things spicy.
Thanks again to Beef It’s What’s For Dinner for the original recipe! I think we have really enjoyed every recipe we have tried from them so far.
Photo credit – Beef It’s What’s For Dinner Website