Hubby, just like many men, puts off an enormous amount of heat when he sleeps. Seriously, he is like a furnace sometimes. Luckily for me, he doesn’t mind me warming up my cold feet on him! Me on the other hand, I think my thermostat is broke. Seriously. I used to always be warm, just like my dad, and my mom and brother were always cold. But, since my weight loss surgery I am really cold a lot of the time. The weight loss itself cannot be the only reason though because I still have much to lose. And then we have the lovely hot flashes and night sweats. Ahh, perimenopause, isn’t it great? NOT! With Hubby and I this means that we generally do not agree on the temperature at night when we sleep.
Da da da daa! (that’s a horn blowing) The Select Comfort Sleep Number folks contacted me about maybe trying out one of their new products. Now Hubby and I need a new mattress and I first I thought that is what it was, but no, it’s something new. DualTemp, a layer you add on top of your current mattress (any kind, doesn’t have to be Sleep Number) that has temperature controls built in it. I get a remote and Hubby gets a remote so we can each set the temperature we want on our own sides of the bed. How freaking awesome is that idea? I said “yes please” to trying it out (they sent us a DualTemp to use).
We headed to our local mall first to try out the new DualTemp at our Sleep Number store.
There are a lot of beds in a Sleep Number store – I would nap too often if I worked there!
The new DualTemp “tester” was right up front and the staff helped explain things to us. It has little tiny spots for the air to come through all over the cover of it. Cooled air, heated air, or just recirculating air. Queen and king size come with 2 of the air unit thingies (the box) and 2 remotes, one for each side of the bed.
The boxes sit right at the side of your bed, one on each side.
There are filters on each one also that you replace every so often. I can’t recall exactly, but they were not overly expensive.
Now I know this may look a little clunky, it’s the hose that goes from the box to the actual DualTemp layer on the bed – but we do not have any problems keeping the sheets on the bed. I thought we would, but nope, they stay on well.
Awww, Hubby is such a sleeping beauty LOL. We actually both laid down on the Sleep Number DualTemp to test it out in the store. They really encourage you to do this and to lay the way you do when you go to bed at home.
Then we waited. Not so patiently. For our new DualTemp layer to be delivered to our home. We really were anxious for this to come since our sleeping temperatures are so different. Finally the box arrived! On top of our sleep temperature issues, like I said, our bed has seen better days. It is not overly old, but it is a memory foam mattress that has not stood up well and sags now in the middle a bit and if you have a memory foam mattress without the new gel toppers and such you know that they retain heat a lot! Seriously, it stinks. So while we knew the DualTemp would help with them temperature issue, we were hoping it would help a bit by being a little extra padding too.
The box was big, but not humongous. The cats enjoyed playing in it for a few days though before I recycled it. Inside on top were the two boxes with the actual cooling/heating parts and remotes. Under that the actual layer that covers your mattress was in a nice zippered bag.
Step 1 – we took the sheets off our bed and put the DualTemp layer on top.
Step 2 – hook up the heating/cooling units. This is very simple. You have to plug in the power supply to it and attach the hose to it. Really, that’s it! Hubby did his side and I did mine – I wanted to try putting it together myself so I could see how easy or hard it was. It was super easy, anyone can do this.
Step 3 – Set up the remote controls. Put the included batteries in them to start. They are very friendly, I like that it said “Hi, let’s get started” when you first turned them on. Those little things are just nice I think. Then you input your name. Do this for each remote. That’s it. Again, super simple!
Step 4 – Remake the bed. The DualTemp layer goes right below your fitted sheet.
Step 5 – Set your preferred temperature. It takes about 30 minutes to get it to where you set it initially. We turn ours on a bit before we are ready for bed. You can see how different Hubby and I are with our settings. I set mine on the warmest, he set his on the coolest. This is how we start out nightly usually.
We have been sleeping with our DualTemp layer now for a few weeks. I wanted to really test it out well before I shared my thoughts with you all about it. Here are the good and not-so-good things Hubby and I feel about the Sleep Number Dual Temp.
- Good Stuff
- Temperature control – yes, it really does work very well and has made sleeping in the same bed a lot more comfortable with temperature for both of us. Hubby stays on the cool setting all night and I start off on warm and then if need be, switch to cool during the night, and then back to warm in the morning. We give these little suckers a workout, trust me. Oh, and Hubby gets up earlier than I do so I grab his remote in the morning and adjust it for me to stay in bed a little longer.
- Air circulation – you do not have to have cooled or heated, you can just have the fan on to circulate air which is really nice.
- Easy to set up and use – there is nothing overly complicated about the user experience at all. Really, anyone could set this up using the very clear instructions and use is just as easy.
- Works on any bed – It does not have to be a Sleep Number bed that you put this on. Use whatever mattress you already have. It can’t be on an adjustable bed – you know the kind that raises your head or feet – but other than that you’re good.
- Extra padding – it does add a little extra padding to your current bed. It’s nice.
- Timer function – you can set it to go off after a certain amount of time or it will go off on its own after 10 hours (I believe that’s the number)
- Remotes light up on touch – These little remotes are smart. They light up when you reach for them, I love that. Then you just press up or down to adjust the temperature or to turn it off. Great for the middle of the night.
- Cat toy – our cats enjoy “chasing” around the air when we let them on our bed. The sheet sort of puffs up a bit if both sides are on high.
- I miss it when not at home – this is a good thing because that means I really like sleeping on it if I miss it when I am in other beds. We went to the lake house and I missed it. I really wanted it in the recovery room at the hospital after surgery too. Tomorrow I leave on another trip and I know I will miss it at the hotel
- White noise – this is more a good for Hubby, he likes to sleep with a white noise in the background. I don’t know if this is technically white noise, but you can definitely hear the motor running on the boxes a bit but it is a consistent even sound and Hubby likes it. I’m a super light sleeper so I’m not as big of a fan, but it is tolerable since it is even and consistent. Sort of like a small fan motor sound.
- Not-So-Good Stuff
- Noise – see above LOL. It would not be a deal breaker for me based on the sound at all, but I wish it was quieter. Again, I’m a super light sleeper.
- Unplugs easily – the power cord that goes into the unit itself is removable, but the problem is that it comes undone easily if the cord is moved a bit. Hubby seems to have this problem more than I do, I’ve only had it happen once on my side of the bed.
- It sort of bunches and slides – now this may be because we need a new mattress underneath and since we do we tend to toss a bit more these days. We also notice it more if we hang out watching TV in our bedroom and our sitting on the bed. This past week I was in bed much more too while recovering from surgery and noticed. The inner part of the DualTemp is not affixed to the outer covering, so it just shifts inside of it as you move around. It also seems to slide over to the edge of the bed. It is simple to fix by pulling it and flattening, but I wish they would work on this to make it move less.
- It is on the expensive side – the DualTemp is not something everyone is going to be able to afford right now. I think it is a great product for sure, but I do wish the price was a bit lower.
So that’s the scoop on the new Sleep Number DualTemp layer from our point of view. I’m happy to answer any questions I can. You can also visit Sleep Number in several ways to learn more directly from them.
- Select Comfort Sleep Number website
- Sleep Number on Facebook
- @SleepNumberSara on Twitter
- or visit a local Sleep Number store
So are you a hot or cold sleeper? If you sleep in the same bed with another person, does their temperature match yours?