The new year is here and I have a great family project (or individual) for you to start now (or at anytime really). A Good Things Jar! You may remember me sharing about my family doing “Three Good Things” at mealtime which is still great but as our family changes our ways to share good things changes as well.
I think simplicity is key for this project to work, at least to get started.
- Step 1: Get a jar or any sort of container you like
- Step 2: Get a scratch pad of paper
- Step 3: Get a pen or pencil
- Step 4: Write down any good thing that happens to you, big or small, on a slip of the paper and place in jar.
- Step 5: Read all of them on next New Year’s Eve or Day and enjoy all the good things that happened in the previous year again!
Now how simple is that? Get the entire family involved too – kids and adults. There is no rule on the kind of paper or if it is written or drawn. Whatever works for your family members. You can even put in tickets stubs for movies or other ephemera that is a good thing.
If you are crafty, of course you can decorate your jar any way you like. You can even use a shoebox and cover it with pretty paper. Or let the kids make and decorate the container. Again, it is whatever works for your family.
At the end of the year you will have an entire jar filled with snippets of your year and the good things that happened. It is a wonderful way to see what was important to you and your family and to relive happy memories. Once the year is over, start up again for the following year!
Will you try making a Good Things Jar?