I normally do a cocktail recipe each Friday, but this week I wanted to remind everyone not to drink and drive. Particularly because this is Halloween weekend and there will be a lot of people going to parties and drinking. Even buzzed driving can be fatal – you don’t have to be falling down drunk to be an impaired driver!
If you, or someone you know, plans on going to a Halloween event this weekend where you will be drinking please plan ahead.
- Designate a sober driver
- Take a cab or public transportation to and from your event
- If you do drive but decide to drink, don’t drive home!
- Program your local cab companies phone number into your smartphone ahead of time so you can easily call for a ride.
- Check in your community to see if there are any free cab or free ride programs happening this weekend and put that information in your phone ahead of time
- Take the keys of your friends who should not be driving. They may get mad, but I would rather have a friend mad at me than a dead friend!
- Please share reminders on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. so everyone gets the message to be safe this Halloween weekend!
Here are a few pre-written things you can share on Facebook and Twitter to help spread the word:
- If you drink and drive this Halloween, plan on a zombie costume. Because Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving, and drunk driving most often kills the drunk driver.
- Don’t trick yourself this Halloween. Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving. The treat is getting home safely from the Halloween party without getting behind the wheel.
- Knock knock.
You’ll be crying ‘boo hoo’ if you drive drunk. Remember: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.
- On Halloween night 2013, 40 percent of all motor vehicle deaths involved drunk driving. If you can plan a costume you can plan a sober ride home. Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.
- In 2013, 29 people died on Halloween night alone due to drunk driving. You can dress up like Jack the Ripper for Halloween but don’t be a real killer. Never drink and drive. Remember: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.
- Halloween party? Check. Costume? Check. Sober ride home? You’d better check. Before the party starts. #BuzzedDriving is #DrunkDriving.
- Designate a sober driver this #Halloween so you don’t end up in the graveyard with the ghosts and ghouls. #BuzzedDriving is #DrunkDriving
- A scary #Halloween tale: a total of 119 drunk driving deaths occurred on Halloween night from 2009-2013. #BuzzedDriving is #DrunkDriving
- Don’t trust your ability to drive after drinking alcohol. #BuzzedDriving is #DrunkDriving
- Before you even plan your costume, plan your sober ride home from the Halloween party. #BuzzedDriving is #DrunkDriving
The images and sample Facebook and Twitter shares come from the NHTSA. Please share freely and help keep everyone safe!
Which item will you share this Halloween weekend?